This is a very very cool new feature that was launched yesterday on Google Maps Mobile. Not all of you may like this, but it is very neat. Google Maps now has Google Latitude which allows you to share your location with your friends and the same for them if they choose. It is kind of like PocketLife’s Maps feature. Some of you may not like this because you think it’s a privacy intrusion, but it is totally up to you whether or not you want to use it. You also do not have to be tracked by GPS, you can set your location manually. Just think, has there ever been a time when you are trying to meet up with people, but you don’t know how to get there? Well, no longer will they have to get on the phone, get you the address, or text you directions. Google Latitude lets you get directions to where your friends are at!! Way cool. I have yet to actually try it, but this is what it can do:
- Share locations: Location sharing starts only when both you and a friend agree. Invite friends via email or easily add them from your Gmail contacts.
- Control privacy: You can share, set, or hide your location – or turn off Google Latitude – from the privacy menu. You can also hide your location or share only a city-level location with certain friends.
- Share status: Create a status message and upload your photo within Latitude. It also syncs directly with Google Talk. Check your friends’ status messages to see what your friends are up to.
- Contact your friends: Quickly contact your friends with an SMS, IM, or phone call. You can also get directions to lead you to your friends.
I have a feeling that I will not be using this feature often because I am very secretive, but it is awesome.
You can get Google Maps Mobile with Google Latitude by going to google.com/gmm on your BlackBerry.
Latest posts by Thomas (see all)
- BlackBerry Storm 2 Coming to Verizon in September? - April 7, 2009
- OS Updates: Official Nextel 8350i OS 18.104.22.168 and Official 8900 22.214.171.124 - April 7, 2009
- BlackBerry Magnum, Onyx, and Driftwood Rumors - April 7, 2009